The Florida Keys is home to the United States’ only living coral barrier reef, making it an ideal scuba diving destination. Whether you’re captivated by coral reefs, shipwrecks, or simply want to see underwater sea spectacles, the Keys offers a plethora of experiences for divers and snorkelers of all levels. Adventure Watersports and Dive Key West are just two of the many outfits that offer dive trips. Book a scuba diving excursion in Key West and experience an underwater adventure you’ll never forget!
5 Best Scuba Diving Spots in the Florida Keys
The team at Compass Realty has compiled a list of the best scuba diving spots in the Florida Keys. Check it out and start planning your Key West adventure today!
- At John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, located in Key Largo, divers can experience the colorful, living coral reef and see the famous Christ of the Abyss, an 8.5-foot-tall replica of the bronze cast of Jesus Christ in the Mediterranean sea.
- With its easy access, many moorings, and characteristic clear teal waters, Molasses Reef is ideal for snorkelers and divers alike. Many large marine creatures frequent this area such as sea turtles, reef sharks, and fevers of spotted eagle rays.
- With depths between seven and 30 feet, Looe Key is a mostly shallow dive and brimming with life, from tiny tropical fish to goliath grouper weighing hundreds of pounds to graceful rays and fan coral swaying with the current.
- From the surface, Sombrero Reef can be spotted by its historic lighthouse that stands 140 feet high. It’s accessible for novice and experienced divers alike, and explorers will be amazed by the colors and numbers of corals, sponges, and tropical fish.
- At 522 feet long, the United States Navy Ship General Hoyt S. Vandenberg is the second-largest ship ever intentionally sunk to create an artificial reef. The 13,000-ton Vandenberg lies seven miles south of Key West at a depth of 165 feet.
Key West Vacation Rentals to Suit Your Budget
After an adventurous day exploring the depths of the Florida Keys, you need the perfect vacation rental to unwind in. Here at Compass Realty, we offer a nice variety of vacation rentals that can suit any budget. Our well-appointed rentals range from luxury condos overlooking the harbor to classic Key West stately homes all within the Truman Annex. To learn more about our rental options, check out our website or give us a call at 1-305-292-1881.